What is C60?
Listen to the PodcastYou may be asking yourself “What is C60?” And why is it taking the health supplement industry by storm? Actually, C60 could be the most amazing chemistry discovery of the late 20th century.R “C60” is short for Carbon-60, a naturally occurring molecule comprised of 60 carbon atoms forming something that looks like a hollow soccer ball. The scientific name for C60 is Buckminsterfullerene and it is the only molecule of a single element to form a spherical cage. It has been extensively explored in biomedical research due to its unique structure and unparalleled physicochemical properties. Almost 200 times more powerful than Vitamin C, C60 is characterized as a “free radical sponge” with an antioxidant efficacy several hundred-fold higher than conventional anti-oxidants.R
The Discovery of C60
The molecule was originally hypothesized to exist by Buckminster Fuller. In 1979, he predicted the existence of the C60 Carbon Molecule and said it would be used in medicine.In 1985, C60 was discovered by 3 scientists: Robert Curl, Harold Kroto, and Richard Smalley. They named the molecule in his honor “Buckminsterfullerene.” They also referred to it as a “Buckyball.”
In 2012, while testing for the safety of C60, scientists found that C60 nearly doubled the lifespan of rats and completely prevented the occurrence of cancers and cognitive decline.
C60 is Found in NatureNot only Carbon 60 can be found in nature, but some also say it precedes life on Earth. It is produced in the atmospheres of giant red stars and can be found in meteor impacts and lightning strikes, suggesting that buckyballs have existed for a very long time in nature. Tiny amounts can be found in the burnt wicks of candles at around 0.25%. The incredible versatility and resilience of Carbon 60 has led some to suggest that C60 may have played an important role in the creation of the universe as we know it, potentially serving as the starting point for planets and perhaps even life itself.
The Most Powerful Antioxidant Yet KnownC60 is the most powerful antioxidant yet known. It is a Universal Antioxidant in that it can perform the antioxidant action of SOD, Glutathione, Catalase, and COQ10. These antioxidants play an important role in energy production in the cell. Not only can it help maximize the efficiency of the cells in producing energy, but it can also provide protection against many toxic industrial chemicals. Scientist Ken Swartz calls C60 the “Swiss Army Knife” of antioxidants.
Health Benefits of C60
- Scientific studies found C60 nearly doubled the lifespan of animals, completely prevented the occurrence of cancers and cognitive declineR.
- In this study, it is shown that oral administration of C60 does not entail chronic toxicity but it almost doubles their lifespan.
- One way is by increasing telomere length
Scavenges Free Radicals
- Oxidative radicals are a primary cause of aging
- C60 Protects cells from oxidative damageR
Improves Immune FunctionR
Improves Cognitive Performance
Kills (Bad) Bacteria and VirusesR
Prevents UV Damage and other ionizing radiation
Improves Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome
- Doesn’t necessarily mean it can make you any skinnier – but can prevent you from getting fatter
- With both human and mouse cell cultures, it was shown that carbon 60 prevented the cells from turning into fat cellsR .
- Nerves can die from oxidative stress and over stimulation. C60 protects nerves from dying due to “overwork” in cell culturesR
Prevents Osteoarthritis and Arthritis
- Protects Cartilage and Improves Bone Health
- Improves bone mineral density
- C60 prevented cartilage cells from aging prematurely or dying off, as well as increasing cartilage production and reducing enzymes that would destroy itR
- The Application of C60 in Orthopaedic ResearchR
- Mast cell (MC) and peripheral blood basophil (PBB)-associated diseases are treated or prevented, or their symptoms are alleviated by the administration of C60R
Improves Eye Health
- Human Vision Study
- Fact is, we don’t know all of the benefits of C60 – and the clinical trials and research can only tell us so much at this point.
- C60 Purple Power did a preliminary study with a clinical pHD research Scientist and found vision improved for all subjects who took C60 Purple Power.
- See The C60 Show “Eyes on C60: Amazing Results with C60 on Macular Degeneration” for more
- Human Vision Study